For New York State Literary Magazines and Presses
Guidelines and Instructions
CLMP is pleased to offer New York State-based literary magazines and presses the opportunity to apply for grants of $2,500, $5,000, and $7,500 to support projects that build organizational capacity and ensure greater sustainability.
The NYSCA NYTAP Regrant Program serves as an interim step toward applying to NYSCA for organizations with budgets large enough to be eligible but without the capacity to apply, and for those publishers with budgets too small to be eligible to apply to NYSCA directly. All projects must focus on capacity building, not the routine costs of publishing. Examples of projects include software upgrades, design projects, accessibility initiatives, special marketing efforts, and development/fundraising efforts. Consultant fees to assist in executing the project may be included in the project budget. Final reporting is required from all grantees.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Applicants that received NYSCA funding for 2023 are ineligible.
- Applicants must be New York State-based literary magazines and/or presses.
- Applicants must be nonprofit organizations or have a fiscal sponsor.
- Applicants must have published at least one title or issue within the past 18 months.
- Applicants must be able to complete the proposed project by November 30, 2023.
- Requested amounts cannot exceed 50% of an organization’s operating budget of the most recently completed fiscal year.
- Applicants are required to provide a final report to CLMP at the conclusion of the regrant period. Note: 25% of the funds will be held and released to grantees only upon the completion of a satisfactory final report.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Completeness of application and clarity of proposal
- Feasibility of capacity-building project as described
- Potential impact on organizational capacity and/or sustainability
- Submitted work samples
Grants will be recommended by an independent panel of three individuals. Final grant decisions will be approved by a committee of the CLMP Board of Directors.
January 19, 2023: Application portal opens
February 17, 2023 (5PM EST): Application portal closes
March 31, 2023: Grants announced
April-November, 2023: Grant period
November 30, 2023: Projects completed
December 15, 2023: Final reports due
Applications must be submitted via Submittable by February 17, 2023, 5PM (EST). Late proposals will not be accepted.
If you need help with your proposal, or if you would like to consult with CLMP staff about your application, contact Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP Montana Agte-Studier: [email protected]. We encourage you to contact us before applying.
Watch an Information Session about the NYSCA NYTAP Regrants Program, held on January 18, 2023.
This program is funded by the New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of Governor Kathy Hochul and the New York State Legislature.