Guidelines and Instructions
CLMP is pleased to offer our literary presses, magazines, and chapbook and online publishers the opportunity to apply for $600 grants to pay for eight to ten hours working with a professional consultant to implement a proposed project that can be feasibly completed within the allotted time. This program provides funds to allow work with an experienced professional to help you identify and implement strategies for improvement in areas such as marketing, publicity, fundraising, and overall operations.
- Applicants must be CLMP members. Non-members may apply for membership one week prior to the application deadline. (To check membership status, please contact Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership and NYSCA NYTAP at CLMP, (212) 741-9110 x12. Note to non-members: a CLMP membership application is available here.
- Applicants must be able to complete the consultancy by 6/30/20.
- Applicants must have a consultant identified and confirmed before applying. (If you require assistance identifying a consultant, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Applicants are required to provide a written evaluation to CLMP by 6/30/20.
- Applicants must have published at least one title or issue within the past 18 months.
To apply, please submit the following:
1. Completed Application Form (found at the bottom of this page and submitted through the website).
2. Proposal Narrative (1-2 pages), including the following (numbered headings recommended):
- Project: describe problem to be addressed with a consultant and project goals.
- Name of Consultant (include contact info. for the consultant, as well as a resume). When securing a consultant, you may inform them that they will be paid $600 for 8-10 hours. Please have them email email@example.com if they have any questions about the program.
- Recent Efforts: describe any recent actions taken in the project area and any results.
- Plans for Consultancy: describe specifically the expected impact of the granted funds and how the success of the consultancy will be evaluated. Be realistic about what can be accomplished in 8-10 hours. For example, designing a new website in 8-10 hours would not be realistic, though assessing website needs and developing a plan might be. Note: Hours include time spent with the consultant (phone or in-person) plus any time the consultant works independently on the project.
- Organization Mission (one paragraph only).
3. Supporting Materials: One recent representative publication (or appropriate URL for online publications). Emailed scans or mailed hard copies of any materials (i.e. past or current marketing or fundraising materials) directly relevant to your project that might inform the assessment of your need. If mailed, materials must arrive by the deadline.
– – – – –
If you need help with your proposal, or if you would like to consult with CLMP staff about submitting an application, please contact Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP at firstname.lastname@example.org
. We encourage you to contact us before applying.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Specificity, appropriateness, and feasibility of goals and work plan
- Potential impact on organizational capacity
- Completeness of application and clarity of proposal
- Artistic excellence of submitted publications
- Priority will be given to applicants that have not previously been awarded a Consultancy Program Grant.
- Grantees will receive eight to ten hours of consulting time that must be used by June 30, 2020. Grantees will determine the schedule along with their consultant and will be required to inform CLMP of start and finish dates.
- Grantees will work with their consultants either in person (if possible and convenient) or via e-mail, fax, and phone.
- Grantees will be required to provide a written evaluation to CLMP at the conclusion of the consultancy.
- Consulting time may include strategic planning, asking for advice and referrals, getting feedback on materials, creation of materials, or other mutually agreed upon activities.
- January 30, 2020 – Applications DUE to CLMP
- February 6, 2020 – Recipients will be announced
- February – June 2020 – Consulting period
- June 30, 2020 – Final reports due to CLMP
Complete application, including all materials, must be received by CLMP by January 30, 2020, at 5pm (EST). This is not a postmark deadline. Late proposals will not be accepted.
Or mail to:
Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP
154 Christopher Street, Suite 3C
New York, NY 10014
You must be a CLMP Member to apply. If you are already a member, please log in at this time. If you are not yet a member but would like to be, please feel free to Join CLMP online or contact Montana Agte-Studier at email@example.com with any questions.