BOA Editions, Ltd. is now accepting submissions of short fiction manuscripts for the 11th annual BOA Short Fiction Prize.
Submissions Open April 1 – May 31, 2021
Judge: Peter Conners, BOA Publisher
- Book publication by BOA Editions, Ltd. in spring 2023
- $1,000 honorarium
Submission Fee: $25
*As a non-profit literary publishing house, we understand that submission fees can be difficult to accommodate. Please know that 100% of your fee will go toward supporting the publication of an excellent short story collection and to supporting BOA’s mission to bring the highest quality literature into the world.
All submissions will be personally read, reviewed, and considered by BOA Publisher Peter Conners, founder and sole editor of BOA’s short fiction series. Manuscripts that do not win the contest are still eligible for publication by BOA.
- Entrants must be a U.S. citizen, a legal resident of the U.S., or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or Legal Permanent Status (LPS).
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Translations, novels, and novellas are not eligible.
- Individual stories from the manuscript may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, chapbooks, or self-published books, but the stories must be submitted as part of a larger manuscript.
- Employees, volunteers, and board members of BOA Editions, Ltd., or their partners, spouses, or immediate families, are not eligible to submit.
- Authors of BOA titles in other genres and translators who have been under contract with BOA are not eligible to submit.
- Minimum of 90 pages; maximum of 200 pages.
- Manuscript text should be at least 12 pt. font, double-spaced.
- Name, address, telephone number, and email address must appear on the title or cover page of the manuscript.
- Do not send artwork or photographs.
- Paginated consecutively with a table of contents.
- Attach publication acknowledgments, if any.
- Email and/or fax submissions will not be accepted (Submittable or post mail only).
- Physical submissions must be postmarked by May 29. Visit BOA’s website for additional guidelines for submitting manuscripts via post mail.
- Neither late nor early manuscripts will be accepted.
- Contestants may submit the manuscript elsewhere simultaneously, but must notify BOA Editions immediately if a manuscript is accepted by another publisher.
- Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered. The winner will be given the opportunity to revise before publication.
- Contestants may submit more than one manuscript, but a separate entry fee and entry form must accompany each manuscript.
Electronic submissions preferred due to the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.