Submissions Thank you for your interest in Bridge Books, Chicago’s independent, intersectional art and culture journal. We welcome submissions in poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, visual art, dance, architecture, politics, and hybrid work from established as well as emerging writers and artists. We are especially interested in work that embraces the world and continues, however subtly, the ongoing global conversation about culture and society that Bridge has championed from its beginning in 1999. We also accept reviews and interviews, which we publish throughout the year.
How to Submit: We accept all submissions through Submittable, an online submissions system. There is no charge to create a Submittable account, but please note that we do charge a small reading fee to help cover the costs of the software and some operating expenses. We do not accept mailed or emailed submissions. As a periodical, we publish when we have sufficient material to justify it, and accept submissions year-round.
Bridge Books encompasses three distinct presses: Bridge Books, its specialty imprint StepSister Press, and Hurm Editions, a transgressive pulp fiction press. For these presses we are currently seeking:
– Artist’s Monographs
– Book-Length Literary Fiction
– Book-Length Monographs of Literary or Poetry Criticism / History / Theory
– Book-Length Poetry Collections
– Art Theory & Practice for the following focus areas:
– Essays for an anthology exploring the history & present of cinepoetry
– Essays / short book-length titles on dance and performance art, and especially that traces the current moment and developments especially in the field of Conceptual dance in the tradition of Xavier Le Roy, Jérôme Bel, Tino Sehgal and Boris Charmatz.
– Book-Length Monographs on Museum Studies & Art Educational Topics
– Book-Length Young Adult Fiction
– Graphic Novels
– Transgressive literary and pulp / genre fiction
All submissions to categories within this submission include:
Please include in your cover letter, c.v., previous book publications (if any), which press you are submitting for, the title of your submission, year and any other information, including a short bio.
All book-length fiction and poetry submissions must include a completed manuscript. Nonfiction and scholarly submissions should include a proposal abstract, chapter list, and sample intro / first chapter with their submission, as well as a list of other current relevant titles in the specific field of interest. If the proposed title is a book in translation, please also include what countries the title has appeared in previously, as well as name and contact information for first appearance publisher.
Please refer to our submissions guidelines before submitting your work. We DO NOT accept simultaneous submissions for our books submissions, exclusive submissions ONLY are allowed for this category. You can withdraw or edit your submission at anytime by logging into your account. To learn more about Bridge and our mission as a periodical, please refer to our About Us page.