Only original work, not previously published anywhere in any form, please.
• POETRY: Up to three poems (maximum seven pages)
• FICTION: one short story or novel excerpt (maximum twenty pages or 6000 words)
• CREATIVE NONFICTION: one piece of literary creative nonfiction (maximum 20 pages or 6000 words)
• VISUAL ART: three to seven pieces of visual art.
• Please paste each submission in the body of its own email, with title and author name at top. So, if you want to submit two poems and one short story, that would mean three separate emails.
• Your cover letter section should include a brief introduction, contact information, selected publication history, and any other relevant information. This can be as brief as you wish.
• For artwork: Please label each image with your last name and and in the order which you want us to view them. When submitting images, all images should be 300 dpi.
• If you have questions about the status of your submission, please contact us at [email protected]
We charge no fee for submissions.
Lastly, we reserve the right to edit submissions in accordance with the rules of our style guide and literary taste.
We aim to respond to all general submissions within a week, and usually reply within two days. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks, feel free to inquire.
We require First North American Serial Rights. Following publication, all rights revert to the author, but we ask that The Atherton Review is credited in any subsequent reprints.