Ruminate is a contemplative literary arts magazine committed to slowing down, paying attention, and encountering heart-awakening storytelling and art so that we can live more fully awake to ourselves and our world. We are particularly excited about sharing stories, poems, and art from voices that aren’t often heard.
- General magazine submissions are always free.
- We currently pay $20/page for poetry (with a maximum of $80 per poem), $20/400 words for prose, and $20/image for visual art. Ruminate firmly believes in paying our contributors, and we are working hard to increase the amount we pay them.
- We only accept submissions that are previously unpublished (a piece that has had a circulation of 500 or greater, in print or online, is considered previously published).
- We do accept simultaneous submissions; however, please notify us right away if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- If you agree to allow Ruminate to publish your work, we will receive first serial rights and all rights revert back to you.
- We only accept online submissions, as our readers are spread across the country. Any submissions made by postal mail or email will not be considered.
- To help keep our queue moving, please submit no more than once every six months and wait 3-4 months before inquiring about the status of your submission.
- Before submitting, we strongly recommend ordering a copy of the magazine in order to better understand the type of work we publish and to tailor your submission accordingly.
- If you need to make a correction to a submission, such as removing your contact info or withdrawing a poem from a batch of poems submitted, please use the “Allow Edit Requests” function in Submittable.
- If you have any trouble using this online system, please email [email protected].
We look forward to reading your work!