The TRP Southern Poetry Breakthrough Series highlights a first full-length collection by emerging authors from each state in the southern U.S.
Submissions open each year on December 1 and close on March 1.
Submissions for Kentucky open December 1, 2023.
To submit please visit our online submission manager.
- Open to any poet born in Kentucky, currently residing in Kentucky, or who has lived in Kentucky for five consecutive years at any point, who has not yet published a full-length collection of poetry. The author may have published chapbooks or books in other genres.
- There is no fee to enter.
- There are no formal restrictions, we welcome poetry of any style/form.
- Open to any poet writing in English. Translations are not eligible.
- Poems may have been published individually in magazines or anthologies, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable. Please notify TRP immediately by withdrawing the manuscript via Submittable if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
- Current and former students and faculty of Sam Houston State University are not eligible.
- Submitters must be 18+ years of age.
- Submissions are accepted through Submittable only.
- Winner will receive a standard royalty contract, and 10 copies of the published book.
- Manuscripts must be between 50 and 100 pages in length.
- Please include a table of contents, title page, acknowledgments page, and page numbers.
- No more than one poem per page.
- Submit as a .pdf, .docx, or .doc file format.
- No revisions will be accepted once the manuscript is uploaded.