Guidelines and Instructions
Through funding from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, CLMP is pleased to offer our NYS literary presses, magazines, and chapbook and online publishers the opportunity to apply for grants between $500 and $2,000.
The NYSCA NYTAP Regrant Program serves as an interim step toward applying to NYSCA for organizations with budgets large enough to be eligible but without the capacity to apply, and for those publishers with budgets too small to be eligible to apply to NYSCA directly. All projects must focus on capacity building, not the routine costs of publishing. Examples of appropriate costs include consultant fees, software purchases, design expenses, author and guest editor fees, print accessibility projects for the blind, marketing efforts, and fundraising efforts. Final reporting is required from all grantees.
- Applicants must be New York State-based literary presses, magazines, chapbooks, or online publishers.
- Applicants that received NYSCA funding for 2020 are ineligible. Applicants must be nonprofit organizations or have a fiscal sponsor.
- Applicants must be CLMP members. Non-members may apply for membership up to one week prior to the application deadline. (To check membership status, please contact Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership and NYSCA NYTAP at CLMP, (212) 741-9110 x12. Note to non-members: a CLMP membership application is available here.
- Applicants must be able to complete the proposed project in its entirety by 6/30/20.
- Applicants are required to provide a written evaluation to CLMP at the conclusion of the regrant period. Note: 25% of the funds will be held and released to grantees only upon the completion of a satisfactory final report.
- Applicants must have published at least one title or issue within the past 18 months.
- Organizations with budgets larger than $35,000 must match the grant 1:1.
- Requested amounts cannot exceed 50% of an organization’s operating budget of the most recently completed fiscal year (FY19).
To apply, please submit the following:
1. Completed Application Form (found at the bottom of this page and submitted online).
2. Proposal Narrative (1-2 pages), including the following (numbered headings recommended):
- Project: describe the problem to be addressed and the project goals. Be specific; don’t include a list of possible projects. Describe how this project addresses an organizational capacity need. (Be clear about how this project is not part of your routine publishing).
- Requested amount and details of how the requested funds will be spent.
- Expected impact of the granted funds and how the success of the project will be evaluated.
- Organization Mission (one paragraph only).
3. Project Budget, showing expenses and income. Do not include items that are unrelated to the project.
4. Complete 2-year general operating (organizational) budget showing the current (estimated) and past (actual) fiscal years. This should be prepared as one budget with two columns comparing the two years (FY19 and FY20), showing both expenses and income. The budget figures for the most recently completed fiscal year (FY19) must be actual figures. Any large changes (approx. 10% or more) should be explained in accompanying budget notes.
5. Copy of the most recent 990 tax form.
6. Copy of 501(c)3 letter, NYS charities registration, or fiscal sponsor information.
7. Supporting Materials: One recent representative publication (or appropriate URL for online publications). If mailed, it must arrive by the deadline.
If you need help with your proposal, or if you would like to consult with CLMP staff about your application, please contact Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP at [email protected]. We encourage you to contact us before submitting your proposal.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Specificity, appropriateness, and feasibility of goals and work plan
- Potential impact on organizational capacity
- Completeness of application and clarity of proposal
- Artistic excellence of submitted publications
- Priority will be given to applicants that have not previously been awarded a NYSCA NYTAP Regrant
- January 30, 2020 – Applications DUE to CLMP
- February 6, 2020 – Recipients will be announced and 75% of awarded regrants will be mailed to recipients
- February – June 2020 – Project period
- June 30, 2020 – Final reports due to CLMP and remaining 25% of regrant money mailed
Complete application, including all materials, must be received by CLMP by January 30, 2020, at 5PM (EST). This is not a postmark deadline. Late proposals will not be accepted.
Email applications to [email protected]
Or mail to:
Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP
154 Christopher Street, Suite 3C
New York, NY 10014