Guidelines and Instructions
Through funding from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, CLMP is pleased to offer our NYS literary presses, magazines, chapbook and online publishers the opportunity to apply for grants between $500 and $1,000.
This regrant serves an interim step toward applying effectively to NYSCA in the future for organizations with budgets large enough to do so but without capacity to yet secure a NYSCA grant, as well as to accommodate those excellent publishers with budgets too small to apply to NYSCA directly. All projects must focus on a capacity-building issue and may not cover the routine costs of publishing. Some examples of requests are: consultant fees, purchasing of software, design expenses, paying of author or guest editor fees, print accessibility projects for the blind, marketing efforts, or fundraising mailings. Final reporting will be expected of all grantees.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- NYS-based literary press, magazine, chapbook or online publisher
- Have NOT received NYSCA funding for 2018
- Be a CLMP member. If you are not a member, you may apply concurrently with your application. If unsure of membership status, please contact Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership and NYSCA NYTAP at CLMP, 212-741-9110 x12. Note to non-members: a CLMP membership application is available here. Applications for new membership must be received at least one week before the application deadline.
- Can dedicate time to complete the proposed project in its entirety by 5/31/18
- Will provide a written evaluation to CLMP at the conclusion of the regrant period. Note that 25% of the funds will be held and released to grantees only upon the completion of a satisfactory final report
- Have published at least one title or issue within the past 18 months
- Organizations with budgets larger than $35,000 must match the grant 1:1
- Request amounts cannot exceed 50% of an organization’s operating budget of the most recently completed fiscal year (FY17)
To apply for this program, please submit the following:
2. Proposal Narrative of 1-2 pages, including the following (numbered headings recommended):
- Project: describe problem to be addressed and project goals. Be specific; don’t include a laundry list of possible projects. Describe how this project addresses an organizational capacity need (be clear about how this project is not part of your routine publishing). Please don’t exaggerate-these are modest grants of $500 – $1,000 that we hope will nonetheless be used effectively.
- Requested amount and details of how the requested funds will be spent.
- Expected impact of the granted funds and how the success of the project will be evaluated
- Organization Mission (one paragraph only).
3. Project Budget, showing expenses and income. Do not include items that are unrelated to the project.
4. Complete 2-year general operating (organizational) budget showing the current (estimated) and past (actual) fiscal years. This should be prepared as one budget with two columns comparing the two years (FY17 and FY18), showing both expense and income. The budget figures for the most recently completed fiscal year (FY17) must be actual figures. Any large changes (approx. 10% or more) should be explained in accompanying budget notes.
5. Copy of most recent 990 tax form.
6. One copy of 501(c)3 letter, NYS charities registration, or fiscal sponsor information.
7. Supporting Materials: One recent representative publication (or appropriate URL for on-line publications). If mailed, it must arrive by the deadline.
If you need help with your proposal, or if you would like to consult with CLMP staff about putting an application together, please contact Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP at email@example.com
. We encourage you to speak with us before applying about your intended request.
Your applications will be reviewed based upon the following criteria:
- Specificity, appropriateness, and feasibility of goals and work plan
- Potential impact on your organizational capacity
- Completeness of application and clarity of proposal
- Artistic excellence of your publications
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously been awarded a consulting opportunity
- January 24, 2018 – Applications DUE at CLMP
- January 31, 2018 – Recipients will be announced and checks for 75% of awarded regrants will be mailed out to recipients
- February – May 2018 – Project period
- June 15, 2018 – Final reports due at CLMP and remaining 25% of regrant money sent out
Complete application including all materials must be received at CLMP by January 24th, 2018 by 5pm (EST). This is not a postmark deadline. Late proposals will not be accepted.
Email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Montana Agte-Studier, Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP
154 Christopher Street, Suite 3C
New York, NY 10014