Guidelines and Instructions
CLMP is pleased to offer literary presses, magazines, and online publishers the opportunity to apply for grants to pay for 10 to 20 hours working with a professional consultant to implement a proposed project to help build organizational capacity. This program helps grantees identify and implement strategies for improvement in areas such as marketing, publicity, distribution, website development, fundraising, strategic and succession planning, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, and overall operations.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Applicants located in New York State that received NYSCA funding for 2024 are ineligible.
- Applicants must have published at least one title or issue within the past 18 months.
- Applicants must have a consultant confirmed before applying.
- Awarded amounts will be paid directly to consultants.
- Applicants must be able to complete the consultancy by November 30, 2024.
- Applicants must submit a final report to CLMP by December 15, 2024.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Completeness and clarity of application
- Feasibility of capacity-building project as described
- Potential impact on organizational capacity and/or sustainability
- Submitted work samples
Grants will be recommended by an independent panel of three individuals. Final grant decisions will be approved by a committee of the CLMP Board of Directors.
November 27, 2023: Application portal opens
January 12, 2024 (5 PM EST): Application portal closes
March 1, 2024: Grants announced
March-November, 2024: Consulting period
November 30, 2024: Consultancies completed
December 15, 2024: Final reports due
Applications will be due on January 12, 2024, 5 PM (EST). Late applications will not be accepted.
If you require assistance identifying a consultant and/or would like to consult with CLMP staff about submitting an application, contact Director of Membership & NYSCA NYTAP Montana Agte-Studier: [email protected] by January 5, 2024. We encourage you to contact us before applying.
CLMP will host an information session about this opportunity on November 29 at 4 PM ET. A brief presentation about the Professional Development Consulting Program will be followed by time for Q&A. Register below to join us.
In the meantime, you can view a recording of last year’s information session, held on January 19, 2023.
In New York State, the Professional Development Consulting Program is supported by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.
In New York City, the Professional Development Consulting Program is also supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.
The Professional Development Consulting Program also receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.