Underwritten by Penguin Random House for 2021 and 2022, the annual Constellation Award is given to honor an independent literary press that is led by and/or champions the writing of people of color, including Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and Asian American & Pacific Islander (AAPI) individuals for excellence in publishing. The 2021 recipient will receive $10,000 and will be announced in December 2021. Apply by November 5, 2021.
- Presses must be led by people of color, including Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and AAPI individuals and/or a have a demonstrated commitment to championing books by people of color, including Black, Indigenous, Latinx, and AAPI authors.
- Presses must have a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their business practices.
- Presses must be English-language and/or Spanish-language publishers based in the United States.
- Presses must be independent publishers of literary books (over half the list must consist of fiction, poetry, drama, and literary prose).
- Presses must not be primarily self-publishing (at least 50% of titles must be published by authors not on staff; presses should not charge authors a fee to publish their works).
- Presses must have a 2-year track record of publishing at least 2 titles a year.
- Presses’ annual net sales must be below $1 million.
The Constellation Award was established with support from
our Literary Hero and Inaugural Underwriter