Jet Fuel Review c/o English Dept at Lewis University

Type Of Organization
Mission Statement / Editorial Focus
Housed at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois, Jet Fuel Review has been in existence since 2011. This semester, Jet Fuel was honored to receive the 2019 College Media Association’s “Literary Magazine of the Year” Award at a four-year institution. In 2018, we received an honorable mention; however, we were the only literary magazine in the running for two years in a row. We are a student-run, faculty advised national online literary journal that publishes fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and artwork from across the world. Additionally, we feature interviews and book reviews; and, each spring, we provide a special themed section. Last spring, we featured a dossier on collaborative writing. We’ve also done special sections on high school writing, centos, and bouts-rimes. Since we have rotating editors, at the onset of each issue we address the following questions raised by author Daniel José Older in regard to editors and industry professionals: “How can I use my position to help create a literary world that is diverse, equitable, and doesn't just represent the same segment of society it always has since its inception?” and “What concrete actions can I take to make actual change and move beyond the tired conversation we've been having for decades?” We read his essay “Diversity Is Not Enough: Race, Power, Publishing,” as well as Jaquira Díaz’s “You Do Not Belong Here,” discussing the multifaceted word “diversity,” and considering it not just in terms of race, gender, and ethnicity, but also diversities of geography, age, ability, sexual orientation, religion, genre, and aesthetics. Solicited work makes up about 20% of each issue, while the other 80% is selected from our slush. Recent issues include writing by Dorothy Chan, Matthew Zapruder, Tarfia Faizullah, Anna Maria Hong, Analicia Sotelo, Brenda Miller & Julie Marie Wade, Kristi Maxwell, Jason Koo, Amy Sayre Baptista, Keisha-Gaye Anderson, Roy Guzmán, Kimberly Blaeser & Amber Blaeser-Wardzala, and artwork by Brian Barker, Jamea Richmond-Edwards, Delano Dunn, Australian artist Jim Tsinganos, and Central American artist Fabrizio Arrieta, as well as many other contributors. Our most recent book reviews include the following: Andrew Hahn’s God’s Boy, Danielle Pafunda’s The Book of Scab, Aviya Kushner’s Eve and All the Wrong Men, and Ruben Quesada’s Revelations. Here is an excerpt from our Fall 2019 foreword, which provides more context as to who we are: “Welcome to Issue 18 of Jet Fuel Review! The editors are excited to share with you the amazing collection of writing and artwork that comprise this issue. After months of reading —and much deliberation—editors have carefully selected pieces that reflect our mission to curate a publication which uplifts the many voices and experiences that diversify the world we inhabit. Founded in 2011, Jet Fuel Review continues to grow with writers and artists who unapologetically challenge the artistic canon. We are honored to provide a platform for the multitude of voices that depict the complexities of the human condition.”

Social Media Platforms Used
Twitter; Facebook
Is Your Group Affiliated With A University, Portal Or Other Agency?
If Yes, Please Name
Lewis University
Primary Editor/Contact Person
Simone Muench
Contact Title
Faculty Advisor
Submissions Policy
We are open for two submission periods each year: August 15th to October 15th; January 15th to March 15th. We accept poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, art, and hybrid work. The majority of the work we publish comes from our slush pile, though we do tend to solicit 10-15 authors and artists each semester. We publish two issues a year with approximately 125 pages per issue.
Accepts Unsolicited Submissions
Simultaneous Submissions Accepted
Reading Period
Year round
Reporting Time
Year Founded
Number Of Issues Per Year
Back Issues Available
Unsolicited Manuscripts Accepted
Average Page Views Per Month
We have a journal as well as an accompanying blog. For the blog, we have 1284 subscribers. For the journal, we receive about 6400 page views per month according to Weebly's metrics.
Average Unique Visitors Per Month
2174 according to Weebly metrics
Publish Print Anthology?