We list job openings with the independent literary magazines and publishers that are members of CLMP. Here’s the latest.
Off Assignment is seeking a paid, part-time Managing Editor, preferably based in New York City (but remote work is possible). The Managing Editor will be responsible for soliciting submissions to our “Letter to a Stranger” series and other columns, liaising with contributors, overseeing the organization’s basic operations, applying for several grants, bookkeeping, and publicizing our content on social media.
Off Assignment was founded as a grassroots series of literary salons in 2013 and grew into a nonprofit, online magazine in 2016 (full backstory here). Our ideal candidate for Managing Editor is self-motivated, highly organized, creative, passionate about OA’s content and mission, undaunted by administrative tasks, and eager to help us foster an increasingly diverse community of contributors. 2-3 years of professional writing or editing experience is preferred, as well as familiarity with Squarespace. Experience in nonprofit management, fundraising, and/or grant-writing is a major plus.
The position is approximately 15 hours per week and comes with a modest stipend of $600/month (subject to increase based on fundraising), or $7,200 per year. We’re asking for a minimum 1-year commitment.
A cover letter detailing 1) your particular interest in this position; 2) the experience that equips you for it; 3) your current work/life situation and how this OA position would be negotiated with other jobs and responsibilities.
A current CV
Application deadline is February 10, 2020.
Part-Time Business Development Manager
LitroUSA is looking for a Business Development Manager to help us grow and expand. Help us tell and, crucially, sell our story without ever selling out. Our community values independence and transparency and fairness, and so do we. We require a self-driven, well-connected, and engaging individual to help secure partners and brand sponsors for our live events and content, including podcasts, short-form video, and online content. Existing partners include the London Library and The National Arts Club in New York City. Past events and partnerships have featured Virgin Atlantic, the Brooklyn Book Festival, and James Cohan Gallery.
Key qualities and experience:
• Ability to pick up the phone, engage with people at events, and send effective emails.
• Strong, existing relationships and contacts with brands—especially lifestyle and culture.
• A proven track record of developing and maintaining brand partnerships and creative collaborations and grant application experience.
• An understanding that diversity isn’t a box to tick but how we live and work.
• Self-motivated but the ability to ask for help and share ideas.
• Strategic thinking/planning and a strong focus on tactical objectives.
• Love of books, writers, and readers and associated brands Have proven experience of negotiating.
• An excitement about stories—help us develop and monetize new formats and ideas.
• A passion for books and stories
• Experience with live events and varied content creation is advantageous but ultimately this is a business development role.
• Help us identify the brands and people we want to work with.
• Work with our existing relationships and network to maximize opportunities.
• Oversee and lead the completion of high-level proposals and pitches. This will involve working closely with the Litro team, ensuring proposals meet company needs.
• Identify and take up opportunities to influence corporate prospects’ priorities, through proactive relationship development and peer-to-peer introductions.
• Set, manage, and monitor an excellent quality standard for new business written documents, proposals, presentations, and pitches.
Working hours and salary:
Part-time / Freelance Role working from home with meetings in New York and London. You will be expected to attend the Litro events.
Salary: dependent on experience and to be discussed.
To apply, please send a CV and any other information you feel to support the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.